COVID-19 & Construction
CURRENT STATUS OF CONSTRUCTION AND COVID-19
On March 12, 2022, Washington became the 49th state to end its indoor mask mandate.
Ongoing health and safety requirements for all industries
According to a Safety & Health Bulletin issued by L&I on March 11, 2022, at a minimum, all employers will need to:
- Keep workers with suspect or confirmed cases of COVID-19 from working around others.
- Provide handwashing facilities and clean and sanitize surfaces regularly.
- Educate workers about COVID-19 prevention in the language they understand best.
- Provide written notice of potential COVID-19 exposure within one business day to all
- Report COVID-19 outbreaks of 10 or more to L&I.
- Address COVID-19 in the employer’s written Accident Prevention Program or equivalent safety program.
- Allow workers to wear a mask if they want to.
Additional guidance and templates
For additional guidance, review L&I’s “Updated masking rules for Washington state businesses and workers.” L&I will be updating its “Sample COVID-19 Plan for Small Employers” this week (new link coming soon!)
Free COVID tests
Starting Jan. 15, 2022, every home in the U.S. is now eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests from the federal government. Orders will usually ship in 7-12 days.
CovidTests.gov also provides other information about testing. Learn how to find free tests in stores, locate free antigen and PCR testing sites or get reimbursed by your insurance for up to eight at-home tests per month for every person on your plan.
Washington state is now offering additional free at-home tests via the sayyescovidhometest.org website. According to a news release by the state Dept. of Health, people will be able to order up to 5 free tests per household. Supply will be limited at first and the state will restock as supply into the state increase.